Standard form is a way of writing numbers that are very big or very small. It makes calculations easier in mathematics.
To write a number in standard form, we use the power of 10 to express its size.
You can easily convert a number to a standard form with just a single click with a standard form calculator by calculator-online.net.
When calculating the speed of light and distances between galaxies, which are incredibly large, scientists utilize standard form. Because the size of atoms and bacteria or small microorganisms are so small therefore they are also described in standard form.
The standard form is sometimes called the scientific notation of a number. You can find a standard form with a standard notation calculator without any difficulty.
Either very small or very large numbers do not fit into standard calculators and it takes time to write them if finding a calculator. The standard form makes it easier to write such numbers and use them anywhere.
The method to write an ordinary number to standard form:
Steps to writing in standard form
- Note down the first digit from the given number
- Add the decimal point after the first number
- Now count the number of digits after the first number from the given number and write it in the power of 10
You will better understand with the help of examples:
87300000000 is the number hence the standard form of a number is obtained by
- The first number is 8
- Add a decimal point after 8 it becomes “8.”
- The number of digits after 8 is 10
- The standard form will be written as 8.73 x 10^10
The method to write Decimal Numbers in Standard form.
Decimal numbers consider 10 as a base and may require 10 different numerals and a dot to represent its number. Depending upon the position of digits decimals are either moved from left to right.
Consider an example 451.221 its place values are 4 as hundreds 5 as tens 1 as ones after decimal 2 as tens 2 as hundred and 1 as thousand. Its standard form is written as 4.51221 x 10^2. With the help of a standard form calculator, you can find the standard form of a number easily.
How to write decimal numbers in the standard form
- Write the first non-zero digit of a number
- Add a decimal point after the first non-zero digit
- Find how many digits the decimal point has shifted from its original position and write it in the power of 10
You will get a better understanding of writing decimal numbers in standard form in the following example:
For example, 0.00000054 in standard form
- The first non-zero digit is 5
- So add a decimal point after 5 written as “5.”
- Here decimal point has moved 6 places to the right
- Its standard form will be 5.4 x 10^-6
- Note that the power of 10 will be negative as the decimal is shifted to the right if the decimal shifts to the left it is written in positive.
Standard form is an important technique in mathematics that makes it easier to represent different mathematical expressions. It allows us to compare big numbers.
Standard form improves precision and clarity and it is easy to communicate information for efficient problem solving. standard form calculator An online tool finds standard notation in a few seconds.