Netflix is no longer offering a free subscription for its Kenyan viewers.
However, its subscribers can still enjoy their favourite entertainment by upgrading to any of the paid plans available in the country.
“Netflix is always exploring ways to improve your experience and deliver more value for your money. That’s why we recently slashed our prices by up to 37% so that you can access entertainment for as low as KES 200 per month! it said in a statement.
How to Pay for Netflix
We want to make it easy and convenient for you to pay for your Netflix subscription. That’s why we offer a variety of payment options for our Kenyan members, including:
- Credit and debit cards: You can use Visa, MasterCard, or American Express cards to pay for Netflix. Just make sure your cards are enabled for recurring e-commerce transactions.
- M-PESA Global: You can use M-PESA Global Pay, a virtual card available to anyone with an M-PESA account. You can top up your card through the M-PESA mobile money service and use it to pay for Netflix.
Here’s how to do it:
- Dial *840# and accept the terms and conditions to opt in.
- Alternatively, on your M-Pesa App, select the “Pay” tab.
- Opt for “GlobalPay” and agree to the terms.
- Choose your card and enter your PIN.
- On your Netflix account, select “Pay.”
- Enter the credit card details from Global Pay and click on “Pay.”
- The subscription cost will be promptly deducted from your M-Pesa account.
- PayPal: You can also use PayPal to subscribe to Netflix. Link your PayPal account to your Netflix profile and enjoy the convenience of automated payments.
Here’s how to do it:
- If you don’t already have one, create a PayPal account. For easy verification, the account must bear the same name as your M-Pesa account.
- Use the PayPal money service to link the PayPal account to your M-Pesa account. Deposit money into your PayPal account using the Pay Bill Number 800088 and your phone number as the Account Number.
- Log in to your Netflix account and set up a payment plan using PayPal.
- Once completed, payment will be deducted from your PayPal account.
Netflix adds 9M subscribers in third-quarter
According to the third quarter financial performance, it added 9 million new subscribers, bringing its total revenue to $8.5 billion and its operating income to $1.7 billion.
One of the factors that contributed to this growth was the company’s policy of cracking down on password sharing.
For Q4, Netflix projects its revenue to increase to $8.7 billion but its net income to decrease to $956 million.
It also expects to add about 9 million paid subscribers, with a possible margin of error of a few million.
“As the competitive environment evolves, we may have increased opportunities to license more hit titles to complement our original programming,” the company wrote.
“We believe this will deliver additional value for our members (i.e., engagement), as well as for rights holders who benefit from the increased awareness and revenue that Netflix delivers, in addition to the new life that success on Netflix can drive (e.g, Friends, The Office, a new series from the Suits universe).”