Google will be replacing Universal Analytics next year, the company announced Wednesday.
This means Universal Analytics properties will stop processing new hits on July 1, 2023, and Universal Analytics 360 properties will stop processing hits on October 1, 2023.
The two will be replaced by Google Analytics 4 as their next-generation measurement solution tool.
“Universal Analytics was built for a generation of online measurement that was anchored in the desktop web, independent sessions, and more easily observable data from cookies,” Russell Ketchum, director, of product management at Google, said in the announcement. “This measurement methodology is quickly becoming obsolete.”
How do you migrate?
- First, you need the Editor role on your account.
- In Google Analytics, click Admin.
- In the Account column, make sure that your desired account is selected. (If you only have one Google Analytics account, it will already be selected.)
- In the Property column, select the Google Analytics 4 property that currently collects data for your website.
- In the Property column, click Setup Assistant.
- Under Conversions, go to Import existing goals from your connected Universal Analytics property, and click Get started.
- In the Import existing goals from your connected property panel, select which goals you’d like to recreate as conversion events in your new Google Analytics 4 property.
- Click Import selected conversions in the top right.