NCBA Bank Managing Director John Gachora and Family Bank Chief Executive Officer Rebecca Mbithi were elected Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of the Kenya Bankers Association (KBA) for the period 2021 to 2022.
Mr Gachora, who previously served as Vice-Chairperson, takes over from Mr Joshua Oigara, who chaired the KBA Governing Council for the past three years.
KBA Chief Executive Officer Dr. Habil Olaka welcomed the new leadership and thanked Mr. Oigara for his service over the years. Dr. Olaka also welcomed Caritas Microfinance Bank, which joined the Association in 2020.
“We are confident the bank will contribute to our long-term vision of reinforcing the industry’s role in advancing Kenya’s sustainable economic development,” he said.
KBA Governing Council for the 2021/2022 period
The KBA Governing Council is nominated to represent three categories – large, medium-sized, and small banks, as defined by the KBA articles of association. The incoming Council members are as follows:
1. NCBA Bank, Group Managing Director, John Gachora (Chair)
2. Family Bank, Chief Executive Officer, Rebecca Mbithi (Vice Chair)
3. KCB Bank, Group CEO, Joshua Oigara
4. Co-Operative Bank of Kenya, Group Managing Director & CEO, Dr. Gideon Muriuki
5. Equity Bank Kenya, Managing Director, Gerald Warui
6. Diamond Trust Bank, Group CEO & Managing Director, Nasim Devji
7. Standard Chartered Bank, Managing Director & CEO, Kariuki Ngari
8. Absa Bank, Managing Director, Jeremy Awori
9. I&M Bank, Chief Executive Officer, Kihara Maina
10. Citibank, East Africa Chief Executive Officer, Martin Mugambi
11. SBM Bank, Chief Executive Officer, Moezz Mir
12. GT Bank, Regional Managing Director, Olabayo Veracruz
13. DIB Bank, Chief Executive Officer, Peter Makau
14. Middle East Bank, Managing Director, Isaac Mwige
15. Development Bank of Kenya, Chief Executive Officer, Victor Kidiwa