MMA: Conor McGregor says his most recent retirement from UFC was because he was sidelined

Irish UFC Fighter

Conor McGregor says his most recent retirement from UFC was because he was sidelined

  • Conor McGregor has claimed he was ‘sidelined’ by UFC over the last 12 months
  • The Irishman says he had plans for four fights in 2020 but they never took flight
  • McGregor retired again back in June after beating Donald Cerrone in January
  • He is expected to return to the octagon in January though against Dustin Poirier
  • Mental Health and Psychosocial considerations during the COVID-19

Conor McGregor says his most recent retirement from UFC was because he was sidelined.

Conor McGregor has slammed the UFC and claimed he has been ‘ignored’ after seeing his plans for ‘four fights this calendar year’ put on hold.

McGregor claims he had plans for a busy 12 months of action inside the octagon but retired for the third time in June after overcoming Donald Cerrone in January inside just 40 seconds.

The controversial Irishman is poised to make another comeback to the octagon in January 2021 with talks ongoing over a rematch against Dustin Poirier.

It is thought a stall in contract negotiations and then the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on UFC halted McGregor’s plans and ‘The Notorious’ was not booked to compete again.

And when told by a fan on Twitter on Tuesday night that he should return to UFC on a ‘permanent basis’, McGregor claimed he had tried to plan multiple fights for 2020 but had been let down by Dana White and Co.


McGregor replied: ‘After being ignored on the 3 dates I put forward (3 consecutive dates I might add! Would have had me at 4 fights this calendar year) Followed then by being sidelined because no crowds in attendance, I said f*** this and bounced.

‘4 fights this era = 6mill PPV buys. How much lost?’.

He also told another fan: ‘I am raring to go and in the best place I’ve ever been. Excited to show my practices to the world!’.