Uber has expanded its delivery service to Kenya, a new feature that allows users to send items to each other through the app.
Dubbed Uber Connect, the product provides a cost-effective same-day, no-contact delivery solution for family and friends while encouraging them to remain at home and practice social distancing.
Brian Njao, Country Manager for Uber in Kenya explains, “During this crisis, we have been working around the clock to find innovative ways to leverage our technology to assist consumers to move essential care packages while also enhancing earnings opportunities for drivers on our platform. With virtual gatherings becoming the new reality, special occasions and family traditions can still be memorable as Uber connects loved ones by moving what matters.”
Uber Connect can be used to deliver a variety of items such as care packages, groceries and much-needed supplies to loved ones while ensuring all social distancing and government directives are followed.
In Kenya, Uber Connect will benefit from Uber Boda which was launched in 2018.
The bike hailing service is available in Kenya and Uganda.
Costs for the delivery services will consist of a base fare of KSh 55 and an additional fee of KSh 14 per kilometer and Ksh 1 per minute on the route.
In Kenya, the service has a weight cap of 15 kilograms for every package. However, the uber delivery service does not cover the transport of items worth more than Ksh 5,300.
How it works:
- Package the items in a sealed box or bag, wiping down surfaces with disinfectant.
- Tell your driver ‘Where to?’ in your Uber app.
- Choose Uber Connect as the ride (you may have to swipe up for the option)
- Follow the notifications: You’ll get notifications providing instructions on how to help ensure a smooth pickup and when your driver-partner is arriving, just as you would with an UberX trip. As you see the car approach in the app, you should head outside and load your item into the car boot.
- Share the trip status with up to 5 people in your contact list. Unless it’s a surprise gift, one of these should be the recipient so they can easily monitor the delivery’s progress.