Anthony Joshua’s fight against Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev will be postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Joshua was set to defend his WBA, WBO, IBO and IBF titles against Pulev at Tottenham Hostspur stadium on June 20.
The British Boxing Board of Control earlier this week had cancelled all events under their jurisdiction due to the coronavirus pandemic until April – leaving open the possibility of the title defence.
Kubrat, however, notes that the fight may still be affected. Speaking to Bulgarian outlet BTV, the former European heavyweight champion said: “It is impossible for the fight to take place on June 20, although I am ready.”
“The fight will take place a few months later, perhaps towards the end of the year.”
Pulev’s co-promoter John Wirt, however, feels that the fight may still be on June 20.
He told BoxingScene: “I can confirm that we only told Pulev that there is a chance that his fight will be postponed, but as of the moment, it is still scheduled for June 20.”
Anthony Joshua’s promoter hopes that the fight will ‘not be interfered with’.
“June 20 is a long time away … there are already potential plans to move that fight back to July.”
The decision by the British Boxing Board of Control to cancel all events till end of April means that a number of fights that had been set for March and April will be moved.
Josh Kelly against David Avanesyan that had been scheduled for 28 March at the O2 Arena, will now be put with another fight later in the year, along its undercard that includes Connor Benn and Joshua Buatsi.