- Premier League side knocked out of the Champions League by German side Leipzig
- Manchester City’s on loan star Angelino drilled home opening goal for RB Leipzig inside just two minutes
- Angelino then provided assist for Amadou Haidara who doubled the lead just 11 minutes later
- Justin Kluivert looked to have killed the game off when he made it 3-0 with 21 minutes left in the game
- A Bruno Fernandes penalty in the 80th minute was quickly followed by a Paul Pogba header to restore hope
- But United’s late press failed to bring crucial third goal, and will see them fall into the Europa League
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are OUT of the Champions League having been outclassed by RB Leipzig.
The Premier League side needed only a draw to qualify for the knockout stages of the competition but saw themselves fall 3-0 down.
Goals from Manchester City-loanee Angelino, Amadou Haidara and Justin Kluivert gave the hosts a three-goal cushion.
After pulling off remarkable comebacks against teams in the league, United got one goal back through a Bruno Fernandes’ spot-kick.
Paul Pogba would score minutes after the Portuguese to bring hope to the Red Devils that a historic comeback was in the offing.
But the Germans would hold off United’s pressure and earn a remarkable win.
It was a desperately disappointing denouement, given the start United made in this group. They won in Paris, they beat Leipzig 5-0 at home. Then the rot began in Istanbul and has eaten through the campaign.
United have now lost three of their last four games and their first back-to-back in the Champions League group stage since 2012.