Serena Williams crashes out in the semi-finals as Naomi Osaka books final at the US Open
- Serena Williams lost to Victoria Azarenka despite winning the first set
- Azarenka rallied to win the next two sets 6-3 to book a place in the final
- Osaka secured a three-set victory to beat Jennifer Brady
- Azarenka will now take on Osaka at the US Open final
- Mental Health and Psychosocial considerations during the COVID-19 pandemic
Serena Williams crashes out in the semi-finals as Naomi Osaka books final at the US Open.
Victoria Azarenka rallied from one set down to beat Serena Williams in the semi-finals.
Williams took the lead, winning the first set 6-1 and looked to be heading to a US Open final rematch against Naomi Osaka.
Azarenka would however fight back strongly, winning the remaining sets 6-3, 6-3.
Williams was not helped by a jarred ankle early in the deciding set that required heavy strapping and her quest to equal Margaret Court’s record of 24 grand slam singles titles goes on.
Naomi Osaka won a battle of will and power against Jennifer Brady to march back into the Finals.
Osaka, the 2018 champion, beat Brady (the tournament’s breakout star) 7-6 (1), 3-6, 6-3.
Brady, 25, had not dropped more than four games in a set all tournament, and certainly did not let the occasion get to her, the pair trading ferocious blows.
Brady had not faced a breakpoint for more than two sets but a loose game at 1-2 gave Osaka an opening and she pounced.