Football: Championship Plans of Resumption in Disarray

Championship set to restart on June 20

Championship is set to follow the precedence by the Premier League in resuming the 2019/20 football season. However, these plans are in chaos.

It was announced last week that the league was set to resume the season on June 20, but reports indicate that the preparations for a resumption are not smooth sailing.

Several clubs are said to be livid with the idea of resumption citing that they had not been consulted. Some clubs are said to have their players vowing not to play in the restart as they fear to compromise their futures.

Clubs dissent

Queens Park Rangers (QPR) are among the clubs not happy with the decision of a resumption. In the club’s website, QPR’s Director Lee Hoos issued a furious statement saying that they had not been consulted about the resumption of football.

Championship side QPR
QPR director Lee Hoos said that the London club ‘vehemently oppose’ the restart plans

Incredibly, there has been absolutely no consultation with individual clubs nor with the Championship doctors’ working group by the divisional representatives – or anyone else in the Football League – regarding this matter. Having spoken with our director of football Les Ferdinand and our manager Mark Warburton, they share my views. We are vehemently opposed to this schedule.

On Tuesday morning, it was reported that Barnsley FC has written to the Football League to say that the season will lack sporting integrity if it is completed.

The letter reads: Some clubs will have unbalanced squads compared to competitors due to ending player contracts. ‘Some clubs will lose home-field advantage for matches behind closed doors with respect to the reverse fixture earlier this season.

Championship set June 20 as date of resumption
Leeds United and West Brom are set to earn promotion to the Premier League when Championship resumes

While some teams are opposed to the idea of resuming the football season, others may be delighted with the idea. Teams like Leeds and West Brom will be hoping for a resumption as this offers them an opportunity of promotion to the Premier League.

Players opposed to the resumption

Charlton Manager Lee Bowyer revealed that three of his players will not be returning for the remaining matches.

Among the players is the club’s top scorer Lyle Taylor. The forward is believed to be fearful that an injury would curtail his chances of what Bowyer admits would be a ‘life-changing’ move. The other two are Chris Solly and Daniel Davis, who is on loan from Birmingham.

Charlton Manager
Charlton Boss Lee Bowyer says that players are fearful of getting injured when games begin

Taylor’s conundrum is likely to be shared by many players across the league. There are 376 players in the division who are approaching the end of their contract.

Charlton is in the relegation zone and two points adrift of safety. Their first game back is against Hull, who occupy that last place above the drop zone.

Hull themselves have been resistant to plans on the restart. Earlier in May, they were named as the first club to oppose the restart and owner Ehab Allam, the Hull owner, wrote to the EFL asking for the season to be voided.

EFL Warning

EFL Chairman Rick Parry warned that clubs across the Football League face a £200m blackhole.

‘We expect three Championship clubs to be promoted – the Premier League are aware of our position on that. The Premier League expects three clubs to be relegated. As things stand at the moment there is no correlation between the season starting and our clubs surviving

EFL clubs are said to prefer a generic points-per-game solution as opposed to a weighted one that factors in home and away records.