Kenya’s Interior Ministry has declared cessation of movement into and out of Mandera county from 7pm on Wednesday for a period of 21 days.
Interior CS Fred Matiang’i said this is attributed to the rising numbers of persons with coronavirus in the county.
Mandera county joins Nairobi, Mombasa, Kwale and Kilifi counties where the government has banned travel in and out.
Following the increase in community-based COVID-19 infections in Mandera County, the Govt has sanctioned the following;
1. That there be cessation of movement by air and road INTO and OUT OF Mandera County for an initial period of 21 days, commencing 7pm today – 22nd April,2020
— Dr. Fred Matiang'i (@FredMatiangi) April 22, 2020
Dr Matiang’i also disclosed that the National Command Centre on the Coronavirus Pandemic has been directed to immediately review the enforcement of public health measures in Mombasa, Kwale and Kilifi.
“The results of this review will be announced in the next 48 hours,” he said.
“We have looked at the unfolding situation in Mandera county. So far the county has eight cases, the latest being
two cases of urban refugees. As part of the containment measure, the government has directed restriction of movement into and out of Mandera,” said Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe.
Kenya has 303 confirmed cases as of Wednesday.