Rafiki, Kenya’s first feature film to be invited to the Cannes Film Festival in 2018 bagged two awards at the Africa Movies Academy Awards 2019 (AMAA) held in Lagos on Sunday.
The film by Wanuri Kahiu won the Best Achievement in Editing and Best Film in an African Language out of ten nominations it received in September.
Incredibly grateful for RAFIKI's win at the AMAA Awards 2019 where it garnered the Ousmane Sembene Award For Best Film in an African Language & Best Achievement in Editing.
— Wanuri (@wanuri) October 31, 2019
Rafiki inspired by the Caine Prize 2017 winning story Jambula Tree by Monica Arac de Nyeko, is a film about two young women in love who challenges the larger human rights issues associated with same-sex relationships in East Africa.
Per the synopsis, “Kena and Ziki long for something more. Despite the political rivalry between their families, the girls resist and remain, close friends, supporting each other to pursue their dreams in a conservative society. When love blossoms between them, the two girls will be forced to choose between happiness and safety.”
The Kenya Film Classification Board (KFCB) banned the film citing that it promotes lesbianism contrary to the law.
Winners of the 15th edition of the AMAAs
1. Michael Anyiam Osigwe Award For Best Film by an African-born Director Living Abroad: Julius Amedume – Rattlesnakes
2. Best Diaspora Short Film: Bail (UK)
3. Best Diaspora Documentary: My Friend Fela (Brazil)
4. Best Diaspora Narrative Feature: Hero (Trinidad and Tobago/Canada)
5. Best Achievement in Production Design: Redemption (Mozambique)
6. Best Achievement in Costume Design: Mercy of the Jungle (Rwanda)
7. Best Achievement in Make-Up: Mercy of the Jungle (Rwanda)
8. Best Achievement in Soundtrack: Mabata Bata (Mozambique)
9. Best Achievement in Visual Effects: Knockout Blessing (Nigeria)
10. NFVCB Award For Best Nigerian Film: King of Boys
11. Best Documentary: Khartoum Offside (Sudan)
12. Ousmane Sembene Award For Best Film in an African Language: Rafiki (Kenya)
13. Efere Ozako Award For Best Short Film: A Tune of Kora (SENEGAL)
14. Best Achievement in Sound: Mabata Bata (Mozambique)
15. Best Achievement in Cinematography: Sew the Winter to My Skin (S. Africa)
16. Best Achievement in Editing: Rafiki (Kenya)
17. Best Achievement in Screenplay: Redemption (Mozambique)
18. Best Animation: Choices – Nigeria
19. Best Young/Promising Actor: Cynthia Dankwa (Esi) BURIAL OF KOJO
20. Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Jarrid Geduld 9 (Abie) Ellen, The Ellen Parkies Story
21. Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Adesua Etomi (Kemi) The King of Boys
22. Best Actor in a Leading Role: Marc Zinga (Mercy of the Jungle)
23. Best Actress in a Leading Role: Sola Sobowale (Eniola)
24. Best Director-First Feature Film: Blitz Bazawule – The Burial of Kojo (Ghana)
25. Best Director: Jahmil X. Qubeka – Sew the Winter to My Skin (S. Africa)
26. Best Film: Mercy of the Jungle (Rwanda)